Sunday, April 17, 2011

I have a personal connection with the movie I have picked for this weeks See it or Skip it.  The Kings Speech (2010) directed by Tom Hopper is about King George VI of Britain (played by Colin Firth) and his struggle with a stutter and the duty of being King of England.  King George must find his voice in order to lead his country through a time of war.  He employs the services of a unorthodox speech therapist (played by Geoffrey Rush).  Together they form a friendship the helps the King find his voice and lead his nation.  The Kings Speech won the Oscar for Best Picture and it is one of those rare movies that is not only touching and entertaining but it also shows you that with courage and determination you can overcome anything.

       This is a definite SEE IT!! 

2 comments:

Arcintina said...

I like movies. With my schedule, a toddler and the cost of movies being what it is now, I don't get to see many movies in the theater anymore. I can think of three I saw last year: Toy Story 3, The Black Swan and The King's Speech. The King's Speech is a definate must see movie (and you can see I'm discerning, lol). If a movie is good, I can allow myself to become emotionally involved in it. During The King's Speech I laughed, I snickered, I teared up, I felt embarassed for the king, I felt proud of him as well.

The acting was Oscar-worthy as well(Geoffrey Rush was robbed because he was awesome). Colin Firth's portrayal made me actually go investigate Queen Elizabeth's dad. Who knew?

I was very glad I spent my money to go to the theater for this one. Now write a review of The Black Swan...

Brandon said...

I agree, excellent movie. It had the makings of a boring drama period-piece (which I often like anyway) but the actors gave it a life that few could have done, and my girlfriend that was resenting me for making her see it walked away thinking it was one of the best movies she's seen.